From Student Teacher to CEO: Meet Alum Amanda Slavin ’08 (ED), ’09 MA

Amanda Slavin, alum of Neag School of Education at UConn, now CEO at CatalystCreativ
Amanda Slavin, an alum of the Neag School Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s program, is now CEO at CatalystCreativ, based in Las Vegas. (Photo courtesy of Amanda Slavin)

For Neag School alum Amanda Slavin ’08 (ED), ’09 MA, student teaching laid the foundation for her unconventional career path. Taking the skills she acquired in curriculum development, engagement, and lesson planning as a student in the Neag School’s five-year Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s program, she has successfully applied them in a marketing setting — today serving as CEO and founder of Las Vegas-based startup CatalystCreativ.

“I think that being a teacher is one of the most profound jobs available to anyone. I think everyone should try to be a teacher. ”

This month, Teach.com — an educational web resource for information on becoming a great teacher in any state across the country — features Slavin in its “8 Questions” series, which showcases teachers who have transitioned their classroom skills into new and exciting careers in, and beyond, the field of education.

“I think that being a teacher is one of the most profound jobs available to anyone. I think everyone should try to be a teacher,” Slavin says. “I think that teaching should be one of the highest-paid professions, and should be an opportunity for the world’s brightest to share their knowledge with future generations.”

Read the Teach.com’s full Q&A with Amanda Slavin here.

Related story: Check out a recent UConn Magazine story featuring Slavin here.