Neag Alum Dr. James Lyons Chosen as Dillard University’s Interim President

Neag alum, Dr. James E. Lyons Sr., was named Dillard University’s interim president in July, further developing his well-accomplished career in higher education. The three-time university president, who was honored in 2000 with the Neag School of Education Distinguished Alumnus Award, attributes much of his success to the University of Connecticut.

Dr. Lyons attended UConn as an undergraduate, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish, and continued his graduate studies through the Neag School, earning a Master of Arts in Student Personnel and a doctorate in Professional Higher Education Administration.

According to Lyons, it was the Neag School’s distinguished reputation that played an integral role when choosing a university. After moving to Kentucky post-graduation, Lyons found he was confident and often better equipped in certain work circumstances than his colleagues who attended other universities. “I felt very comfortable in my work and there were many instances in which I was able to respond when others could not,” said Lyons. “Both the formal and informal education that I received at Neag allowed me to go directly into the position of director of institutional research and assistant to the vice president for academic affairs.”

The Neag School has meant far more to Lyons than prestige or diplomas. Professors like Dr. Glen Atkyns, Dr. Mark Shibles, Dr. John Karnes and Dr. William Brazziel, as well as advisor, Dr. Floyd Bass, encouraged Dr. Lyons’ passion for what he says is “one of the most important and rewarding careers there is.”

“I feel very blessed to have had a very good relationship with some outstanding professors, who really wanted to see me complete my graduate programs and move on to a significant position in higher education administration,” said Lyons.

One of Lyons favorite moments in the classroom was a family affair involving another Neag alum, his wife, Jocelyn, and their son, Jimmy. “There was one semester when our graduate classes overlapped; however, we decided not to hire a babysitter because if my class ended on time, Jocelyn could ‘pass Jimmy off’ to me and go upstairs to her class. Our entire plan was based on the assumption that Dr. Mark Shibles would end his class on time. Well, that was wishful thinking; he didn’t end one class on time that semester,” said Lyons.

Lyons would sit near the door each class so his three-year-old toddler could sneak in and sit on his lap for the remainder of the lecture. Lucky for Dr. Shibles, Dr. Lyons and the other students, Jimmy cooperated, remaining silent for the duration of the lesson.

“I’ve often felt that Jimmy could boast about attending a graduate class at age three,” he said.

Since 2007, Dr. Lyons served as secretary of the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Prior to this position, he was the president of California State University at Dominguez Hills, Jackson State University and Bowie State University.

Lyons believes pursuing a profession in education provides an opportunity “to shape young minds,” inspiring them to go out into the real world and do great things, all the while influencing policy decisions and development.

“Our nation now ranks tenth among industrial nations in the percentage of young adults with college degrees. If we are going to regain our leadership in this area, we will need the help of professional educators,” said Lyons.

2 thoughts on “Neag Alum Dr. James Lyons Chosen as Dillard University’s Interim President

1. I noticed Dr. Flloyd Bass’s name mentioned in the above article. He was my major advisor at UConn. I have been trying to locate him. Would you be able to give me any information on him.