Associate Professor of Measurement, Evaluation, and Assessment
Ph.D., Psychology (Evaluation and Research Methods Concentration), Claremont Graduate University, 2009
M.A., Psychology (Evaluation and Organizational Behavior Concentration), Claremont Graduate University, 2003
B.A., Psychology, University of South Carolina at Columbia, 2001
Bianca Montrosse-Moorhead is an assistant professor of measurement, evaluation, and assessment in the University of Connecticut’s (UConn) Neag School of Education, and program coordinator for UConn’s Graduate Certificate in Program Evaluation. As an evaluation researcher, educator, and practitioner, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead specializes in evaluation theory, methodology, practice, and capacity building. For example, she has published on important issues such as the demarcation of evaluation’s knowledge base, gaps between evaluator education and the demands of on-the-ground practice, the validity of evaluative arguments, and the importance of establishing professional standards for public evaluation work. She also has an active evaluation practice, and has directed several evaluations at the local, state, and national level (over $7 million dollars in grants and contracts secured). Her scholarship has appeared in the American Journal of Evaluation, New Directions for Evaluation, the Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation, and Evaluation and Program Planning. In 2014, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead was the recipient of the American Evaluation Association’s Marcia Guttentag Award, the association’s only early career award. In 2017, she was appointed to the editorial board of New Directions for Evaluation, an official journal of the American Evaluation Association (AEA), and elected to a three-year term on the AEA Board. Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead currently co-chairs EvalYouth, an international network that aims is to build evaluator capacity throughout the world.
Honors and Awards
- In 2014, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead was the recipient of the American Evaluation Association (AEA) Marcia Guttentag Award, the association’s only early career award.
- In 2015, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead was selected to serve as an official delegate of the American Evaluation Association and attend events occurring during Global Evaluation Week, which aimed to commemorate the International Year of Evaluation and launch the 2016-2020 international evaluation agenda.
- In 2015, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead’s study on evaluator competencies was selected for inclusion in a 4-volume set, Contemporary Trends in Evaluation Research (Sage Publications), because it is considered an outstanding example of research on evaluation that made a significant contribution to the knowledge base.
- In July 2017, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead was appointed to the editorial board of New Directions for Evaluation.
- In August 2017, Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead was elected to a three-year term on the American Evaluation Association board.
Areas of Expertise:
- Program Evaluation
- Research on Evaluation
- Policy Evaluation
- Evaluation Practice
- Research Methodology
- Equity in Evaluation
- Evaluation Quality
- Montrosse-Moorhead, B., Bellara, A. P., & Gambino, A. J. (2017). Communicating about evaluation: A conceptual model and case example. Journal of MultiDisciplinary Evaluation, 13, 16–30.
- Montrosse-Moorhead, B., & Griffith, J. C. (2017). Toward the development of reporting standards for evaluations. American Journal of Evaluation. Advance online publication.
- Griffith, J. C., & Montrosse-Moorhead, B. (2014). Editors’ notes for revisiting truth, beauty, and justice: Evaluating with validity in the 21st century, 142, 1-8.
- Griffith, J. C., & Montrosse-Moorhead, B. (2014). The value in validity, 142, 17-30.
- Montrosse-Moorhead, B., Griffith, J. C., & Pokorny (2014). House with a view: Validity and evaluative argument, 142, 95-105.
- Robb, S. M., Smith, D. D., & Montrosse, B. E. (2012). The context of the demand for special education faculty: A study of special education teacher preparation programs. Teacher Education and Special Education, 35, 128-139.
- Montrosse, B. E. & Young, C. J. (2012). Market demand for special education faculty. Teacher Education and Special Education, 35, 140-153.
- Smith, D. D. & Montrosse, B. E. (2012). Special education doctoral programs: A ten-year comparison of the suppliers of leadership personnel. Teacher Education and Special Education, 35, 101-113.
- Tyler, N. C., Montrosse, B. E., & Smith, D. D. (2012). The supply: Profile of current students and recent graduates in special education. Teacher Education and Special Education, 35, 114-127.
- Fredricks, J., McColskey, W., Meli, J., Mordica, J., Montrosse, B. E., and Mooney, K. (2011). Measuring student engagement in upper elementary through high school: a description of 21 instruments (Issues & Answers Report, REL 2009–No. 098). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Regional Educational Laboratory Southeast.
- Aronson, J., Cohen, G., McColskey, W., Montrosse, B. E., Lewis, K., and Mooney, K. (2009). Reducing stereotype threat in classrooms: a review of social-psychological intervention studies on improving the achievement of Black students (Issues & Answers Report, REL 2009–No. 076). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Regional Educational Laboratory Southeast.
- Schroeter, D. C., Coryn, C., & Montrosse, B. E. (2008). The proposal review process: An example from the Graduate Student and New Evaluator Topical Interest Group. The Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation, 5, 25-40.
- Dewey, J., Montrosse, B. E., Schroeter, D. C., Sullins, C., & Mattox, J. R. (2008). Evaluator competencies: What is learned versus what is sought? American Journal of Evaluation, 29, 268-287.
- Christie, C. A., Montrosse, B. E., & Klein, B. M. (2005). Emergent Design Evaluation: A case study. Evaluation and Program Planning, 28, 271-277.
Co-chair of EvalYouth, an International Evaluation Network
Connect with Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead:
A copy of Dr. Montrosse-Moorhead’s bio and curriculum vitae can be downloaded here: Montrosse-Moorhead Bio and CV
|Phone||860 486 0177|
|Office Location||Gentry 338|
|Office Hours||See https://goo.gl/cbp93X|