A Corporate Educator Comes Back to Storrs

Paula SingerPaula R. Singer, president and CEO of the Laureate Global Products and Services Group, came back to campus recently to speak about online learning. She leads Laureate’s U.S. campus-based and online higher education business, serves as chair and CEO of Walden University, and oversees development and marketing of the company’s distance-learning offerings and partnerships around the world. Singer, who hadn’t been to campus in 30 years, earned a B.S. in education from the Neag School of Education, where she was the first education major to be selected for the prestigious University Scholar program. She spoke with the editor of Spotlight about teaching and online learning.

What should people know about online learning?

What’s most important is that research shows that online learning is as effective and, in many cases, more effective than face to face. So the verdict is in, and that was based on a metastudy that was done by the Department of Education. I also think people should know that online learning is not for  every student or every subject. It is a modality that should be used when it’s best for the student.

How is Laureate Education impacting online learning?

We were really the founders of distance education, starting back in 1998. And our flagship institution, Walden University, was one of the first three institutions in the U.S. to be accredited by regional accreditation bodies and be fully online and fully distanced delivery. We’ve really been the pioneers of distance education in many ways. So, in distance education in 1998, was focused on video, focused on satellite delivery — there have been a number of different modalities — now it’s online. But, even in online, it’s moving from computers to mobile devices as people start using those modalities.

Where do you see online learning going from here?

It’s going to become very a commonplace tool that is used for our students at all levels. I think it’s going to be embraced as a modality that’s used by all faculty and teachers at all levels. Because of that, we’re going to be able to use it in more prescriptive ways, especially with math and science activities. It’s become more sophisticated in its use, is more widespread, and I think students are going to demand that continues.

As a former classroom teacher, what do you see as challenges facing teachers today?

There are many challenges facing teachers today. One of the big challenges that we have are the outputs. Because if you look at the participation rates of high school graduates in higher education in the U.S., we’re ninth in the world for graduating and going to college. When I look at the broad challenges for K-12 teachers, we have to help the students be more competitive in a country that’s more competitive. One of the big challenges is we have to attract the best and brightest into teaching. We also have to prove to the public that we are doing a good job. We have to be willing to be measured as classroom teachers in the same way we measure our students every single day. I don’t think we should have a dichotomy that says students should be evaluated, but teachers shouldn’t. Evaluations should be seen as a way to identify areas for improvements, not as an “I gotcha.”

How can we reform education from your perspective?

We need to make sure to focus on early childhood education. Starting early is really important in setting that foundation, as is making sure that the requirements for those teaching students at the earliest stage are stringent, and then really prepare them.

We also need to be sure we are balancing this need for metrics. The other reasons creative learning is so important are that 1) students stay more engaged when they’re involved with that kind of problem solving; and 2) employers are not looking for individuals who score 95 percent on standardized testing. Although that may be nice, they’re looking for people who can help solve real issues.

How can a school like the Neag School impact the future of education?

The Neag School does a very good job in a number of areas. I’m very impressed with the quality of student that’s here. Neag is attracting the best and brightest into the profession. I’ve been very impressed with the students that I’ve seen and how the faculty is dedicated; to make sure they are the kind of professionals who make a difference in the classroom. I’m also impressed with the stats in terms of retention, where the teachers are still in the classroom. Neag students are way above the national average (50 percent), in that about 70 percent of them are still teaching after 10 years.

We’re doing something right at the Neag School. The importance of that continuity can’t be over-emphasized, because in the first five years, teachers are still learning. So as they become more of an expert, this stage is so critical. I’m also very impressed with the work that’s being done by Gifted & Talented. They have a lot of expertise that can be shared with the rest of the country – what they know and how they are helping children who are high performers in the classroom.

What did being the first education major to be awarded UConn’s prestigious University Scholar program mean to you?

I do recall it as if it were yesterday. I came on campus as a freshman. I was called to visit the Honors Program. I latched onto the program and became focused on becoming a University Scholar my sophomore year. Through this, this program helped me early on. Without it, I may have not have had the same focus.

I had no idea that education majors had not previously been part of the honorees. I let the dean know my plans. He was proud of me, but he didn’t want me to get my hopes up (since there had never been an education major). That was probably the best thing he could have told me, because it really  encouraged me to go after the honor. It became a challenge. It was not just about me being acknowledged, but about having the school acknowledged.

What is your favorite memory as a student?

Oh my goodness, the jungle is still here. We had a blast living in there; it was fun for freshman. I did chuckle a bit, as I came around and saw that.

One of my biggest memories is of the library. That’s the old library now. I went to see it today, along with the new one. I was impressed with what they had done. As a freshman, I had a lived at the North Campus and spent a lot of time at the library. I had my special place in the stacks and studied there. While it’s changed, it’s much better and useful for the students  — they kept a portion of the library that still allows students to find that special spot to sit down and study.

I expected the campus to look a lot different. I hadn’t been back in 30 years; I’ve been living in all different parts of the country. As I was driving down the 195, it didn’t change at all there. I turned on the street with all the churches. I was pleased coming back here, seeing the expansion of the university and the buildings. It’s great to see all the expansion, but the buildings have a consistency with the images and architecture of being in New England, being at UConn, and not trying to make it look too crazy. It’s fun to see all the expansion, to see the progress.

Who was your favorite professor?

Dr. Meagher. I remember the very first  words she said to me. The first class I had with her was about teaching reading, and she said: “Good morning, my name is Dr. M-e-a-g-h-e-r, so much for phonics.” That really rung in my head, not that we didn’t believe in teaching phonics.

I remember my first stint in the real world. I had the fortune of four separate student teaching experiences, all very different. In one case, I had a group of students who didn’t qualify for special education, but weren’t functioning well in the classroom. I said to her, “Where do I start?” Dr. Meagher said, “You start first by assessing.” I remember that: You can’t know where to start if you don’t assess first. She was someone who was very knowledgeable, but very open to the students. She was the perfect teacher-mentor and gave me the confidence I had by the time I graduated.