Class of 2020 Senior Profile: Julia Mancini

Julia Mancini
“Finding your passion will give you something to look forward to after a long day of classes and make your years here even more memorable,” says graduating senior Julia Mancini ’20 (ED), ’21 MA. (Photo courtesy of Julia Mancini)

Editor’s Note: As Commencement approaches, we are featuring some of our Neag School Class of 2020 graduating seniors over the coming days. Mancini also appeared in UConn Today’s feature about graduating seniors.

Majors: English and Secondary English Education

Extracurriculars: Life editor, The Daily Campus

Hometown: Shelton, Conn.

Who is your favorite professor?  Ellen Agnello

What did you accomplish that you’re most proud of? I am most proud of the work I’ve done with The Daily Campus, but also of the balance I’ve found throughout my college career. I was able to work, complete a successful internship, maintain a high GPA, have invaluable student teaching experiences, and maintain a healthy social life.

What do you plan to do after you graduate? I will be returning to UConn for my master’s in education but hope to be a high school English teacher when it’s all said and done.

How has UConn prepared you for your future career? UConn has prepared me for my future career in a multitude of ways. First and foremost, the Neag School of Education has provided me all the academic tools I need to be a successful teacher. After all of my clinic placements and student teaching, I feel equipped to give students an equitable, enriching education. UConn has also given me the communication skills, creativity, leadership skills, and helped to spark a passion for my career as an educator.

UConn has given me the communication skills, creativity, leadership skills, and helped to spark a passion for my career as an educator.

What advice would you give to a student who is just starting out? I would advise a student who is just starting out to get as involved as possible right away. I know a lot of students try to get a handle on academics first, but getting involved in something you love as soon as you get to UConn helps make this enormous campus feel a lot smaller. I found a community of people that care about, support, and encourage me, and that’s something I will continue to have after these four years. Finding your passion will give you something to look forward to after a long day of classes and make your years here even more memorable.