Class of 2021 Senior Profile: Amable Enrique Aristy Cabrera

Class of 2021 senior Amable Enrique Aristy Cabrera ’21 (ED) sitting outdoors and smiling off-camera.
“Make sure to challenge yourself. Try new things, but do so if that is what YOU want,” says graduating senior Amable Enrique Aristy Cabrera ’21 (ED). (Photo courtesy of Amable Aristy)

Editor’s Note: As Commencement approaches, we are featuring some of our Neag School Class of 2021 graduating seniors over the coming days.

Major:

Sport Management

Extracurriculars: 

President of the Dominican Student Association; co-coordinator for the UConn 2021 Sport Business Conference; UConn men’s basketball student manager; sports director at WHUS 91.7 FM; owner of a clothing brand – I AM-ABLE

Scholarships:

One from the National Dominican Day Parade

Hometown:

Bronx, New York

Why did you choose to study this major/minor? 

I chose this major because of my ambition to work within the sports industry one day. This was one of the better programs in the country, and so it caught my attention. I wanted to be in a program that helped me and led me on the right path to be as successful as possible.

Who is your favorite professor and/or class? Why? 

My favorite professor is Danielle DeRosa. Ever since I officially came into the Sport Management program last year, she has been there every step of the way. Whenever I had any questions, needed help with graduate school options, or needed recommendations, she was there. That and the knowledge she has provided me with are things that I deeply appreciate and will take with me throughout my career.

With all of the amenities UConn has provided me with, I can confidently say that I am well prepared to go into the professional world right now and make a positive impact.

What did you accomplish during your college experience that you’re most proud of? 

I am most proud of everything that I have taken on throughout these last couple of years. I have challenged myself more than I ever have. From student manager all the way to my most recent challenge as the sports director at WHUS, I have grown both as a person and professional. If it were not for all of my extracurricular[s], that would not have happened, and I would not have made the connections that I have made.

What do you plan to do after you graduate? 

I plan on going to graduate school for my master’s in Sports Industry Management at Georgetown University. 

How has UConn prepared you for your future career? 

With all of the amenities UConn has provided me with, I can confidently say that I am well prepared to go into the professional world right now and make a positive impact in whatever organization I am in. The variety of classes given by the Sport Management Program focus on different fields, which will allow me to have a wider range of options to choose from when applying for jobs.

How has UConn shaped you as a person?

As a person, I have gained tremendous life skills such as being true to myself, managing my time, and consistently paying attention to detail. While it can be said that those skills are more professional than personal, I believe that to be the best, you have to have those instilled within you and use them on a day-to-day basis with your friends, family, and even strangers. I have learned a lot about myself through those skills.

If you could summarize your experience at UConn in three words, what would they be? 

Insightful. Accomplished. Growth.

What advice would you give to a student just starting at UConn? 

I would say to not rush into things and to focus on being your own person. Do not think that just because one person does one thing a certain way, that you need to do it the same way. Your path should be unique to you and nobody else. You are the only one walking in your shoes and the only one who truly knows what you want. Also, make sure to challenge yourself. Try new things, but do so if that is what YOU want. If you do this, you will see the growth you make throughout the years, especially in such a big school such as UConn, where there are many things to do.

Do you have anything else interesting you’d like to share? 

In your own way, try to positively inspire, impact, and influence those around you. Help lead the people that come after you to greatness, just as those that helped you.