Class of 2022 Student Profile: Anamaria Sousa

Anamaria Sousa
“My advice for incoming first-year students is to be comfortable being uncomfortable,”says graduating master’s student Anamaria Sousa ’20 (ED), ’22 MA. (Photo courtesy of Anamaria Sousa)

Editor’s Note: As Commencement approaches, we are featuring some of our Neag School Class of 2022 graduating students over the coming days.

Major:

Special Education

Hometown:

East Hartford, Connecticut

Why did you choose UConn?

I chose UConn because of the IB/M program that the Neag School offers. I obtained my bachelor’s degree in four years and my master’s degree in one. Basketball is also my favorite sport, and what better than to go to school in the basketball capital of the world!

What’s your major and why did you choose it? 

My major is educational psychology. I chose this major because I have been around individuals with special needs. My mother has been involved in many different programs for individuals with special needs, so I followed in her footsteps and started to volunteer as well. Each time I would attend, my love for the community grew, and I knew that I wanted to center my career on creating an inclusive environment for those with special needs.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I plan to start my career as a special education teacher.

What activities were you involved with as a student?

UConn HARTS, Community Outreach, UConn Future Educators, UConn Intramural Sports, Husky Sport, Student Ambassadors, Hartathon, and NAMI.

How has UConn prepared you for the next chapter in life?

The Neag School gave me plenty of opportunities to teach in schools to further push my passion for teaching. In addition, I was able to have opportunities in many different learning environments to choose which environment would fit me best.

The Neag School gave me plenty of opportunities to teach in schools to further push my passion for teaching.

What’s one thing that surprised you about UConn?

One thing that surprised me about UConn is how I can still get lost on campus after five years.

Any advice for incoming first-year students?

My advice for incoming first-year students is to be comfortable being uncomfortable!

What’s one thing every student should do during their time at UConn?

Participate in an alternative break trip through Community Outreach. I met some of my best friends on those trips, and each trip was eye-opening.

Who was your favorite professor and why?

My favorite professor is, hands down, Tracy Sinclair. She was my professor during the first semester we were in lockdown, and she worked so hard to make the semester somewhat normal and fun even though we were stuck at home! She is always a phone call, text, or email away whenever I need help or wants to rant.

What’s one thing that will always make you think of UConn?

All of my broken umbrellas were because of the wind.