Class of 2022 Senior Profile: Jessica Wang

Jessica Wang
“My advice for first-year students is to try new things outside of their comfort zones,” says graduating senior Jessica Wang ’22 (ED). (Photo courtesy of Jessica Wang)

Editor’s Note: As Commencement approaches, we are featuring some of our Neag School Class of 2022 graduating students over the coming days.

Major:

Mathematics Education

Hometown:

Danbury, Connecticut

Why did you choose UConn?

I chose UConn because of the amazing environment I first experienced on Admitted Students Day. It was incredible to witness, and I knew that this was my school. I wanted to be a part of a community close, spirited, and engaging community, and this school has provided everything like that for me. This community provided so many different opportunities that allowed me to grow as a leader and person. I have stepped outside of my comfort zone and have been rewarded in the form of many lifelong friendships and memorable experiences. I am so grateful I chose UConn as my school and community for the past four years.

What’s your major and why did you choose it? 

I have pursued a dual degree in Mathematics and Secondary Mathematics Education. I chose these majors because I love helping others—standing in front of the classroom and helping inspire the future generation has always been a passion of mine. I am excited to get students to feel excited about math or understand where the numbers are coming from and why you need to complete the steps to get an answer. I have always been passionate about being a teacher and helping others. Still, it became solidified when I was student teaching every day and engaging with the students and seeing their growth. I cannot wait to see what else the future holds.

What are your plans after graduation?

I have accepted my admission to UConn and am returning to complete my master’s year for the IB/M program at the Neag School of Education. I look forward to getting started on my Inquiry and Research project and knowing more about what it means to be a leader in the school.

What activities were you involved with as a student?

As a student, I am president of the UConn Future Educators Club, the youth development and education for adolescents coordinator for Community Outreach, the Let’s Talk Leadership Program coordinator, and the treasurer for the Teacher Education Student Association. I was also a morale captain for HuskyTHON, a WOW leader and WOW captain, a participant in numerous programs in Community Outreach, and a facilitator for the Leadership Certificate Series.

How has UConn prepared you for the next chapter in life?

UConn has given me real-life experiences that have truly prepared me for the next chapter of my life. I feel as though I possess more knowledge than I have ever before regarding my majors, teaching, and life experiences. I have grown as a leader in feeling more comfortable speaking in front of others. I used to be so nervous when someone would ask me to come up to the front of the classroom and speak in front of everyone. However, the more I practiced, and the more people allowed me to speak in front of others, the more comfortable I became with my leadership and public speaking skills. UConn has prepared me for going outside my comfort zone, and I feel more prepared than ever before for the next chapter of my life.

UConn has prepared me for going outside my comfort zone, and I feel more prepared than ever before for the next chapter of my life.”

What’s one thing that surprised you about UConn?

One thing that surprised me about UConn was that many of the professors that I had seemed to want to help me. In high school, I often heard that I would be on my own and that the professors at college wouldn’t be there to help me. However, that is not the case at UConn. Professors constantly mention their extra help hours and say that if you do not understand some of the materials, you should go to extra help hours, and they will help you. The professors at UConn have always been so helpful and consistently showed that they want to help and want you to succeed in their class.

Any advice for incoming first-year students?

My advice for first-year students is to try new things outside of their comfort zones. This is the best way to meet new people and come across new ideas, but is also important for growing as a person.

What’s one thing every student should do during their time at UConn?

One thing every student should do during their time at UConn is participate in as many UConn-sponsored events as possible! The athletics games are amazing, and the spirit is unlike any school I have ever seen. Oozeball is so much fun, and the muddy trek back to your dorm is all just part of the fun. HuskyTHON is one of the most inspiring and impactful experiences I have ever participated in. So many of these events are what shape UConn to be UConn.

Who was your favorite professor and why?

My favorite professor is Megan Staples. She has helped me and is always there whenever I need a guiding hand, advice, or a math joke. She is motivating and inspires me to find the “why” in my work and to dig deeper into the concepts of math than I normally would have. She is the most amazing professor and faculty advisor. Without her help, I would not be at the same level of understanding students’ thinking, asking higher-order thinking questions, and understanding many different foundational aspects of mathematics that I did not know in my primary school years.

What’s one thing that will always make you think of UConn?

One thing that will always make me think of UConn is ice cream because no ice cream is superior to the Dairy Bar.